Blair Hill is an old school conversion which we recently completed, and we have retained one of the apartments to add to our collection.
The whole apartment has 4m high ceilings and massive 3m high windows which flood the space with light, as the entire apartment is south facing. Large private terrace area, stepping out from the main living area. 2 bedrooms and 2 bathrooms, huge open plan living area with kitchen and lounge. Underfloor heating with oak flooring throughout the apartment. Wetroom style showers. Beautiful kitchen with Siemens appliances. Superfast Wifi.
Blairgowrie is a lovely highland town and Blair Hill is just 3 min walk to the central square, with a nice selection of restaurants, shops and coffee shops.
Guests always ask me what is there to do in Blairgowrie and the local area, so I put together my Top 10 things to do, which have been tried and tested, if you manage to get 5 of these done during your stay with us, you will have a fabulous time and you will be back again real soon:
1. The Cateran Trial – if you like your walking / hiking, you will love this Trial, which starts just a 200m from the Blair Hill. The Cateran Trail is a fully waymarked circuit through the Perthshire and Angus glens in the heart of Scotland. Some of these routes follow the same ones used by the Caterans – fearsome cattle thieves who raided Strathardle, Glenshee and Glen Isla from the Middle Ages to the 17th century. The Cateran Minitrail samples some of the best bits of the main trail over a two-day adventure. It includes the trail’s highest point over scenic Strathardle and Glenshee, the remains of hut circles and Iron Age buildings. For more details, check out https://www.scotlandsgreattrails.com/trail/cateran-trail/
2. Blair Hill is situated on an elevated land above the town of Blairgowrie, take a short stroll into town ( 200m from the High St), stop off for a lovely coffee and scone, at the Cateran Cafe, really nice for lunch, and hopefully you get one of the tables and chairs outside.
3. Golf – if you love your golf, you will know that Blairgowrie has 2 quite famous championship course golf courses, regularly in the Top 100 golf courses in Scotland. It is famous for its fabulous trees, pine, birch and heather.
4. Our favourite local walk is up to Cargill’s Leap, a lovely stroll along the River Ericht, just a mile away. Cargill’s Leap is narrowing in the river gorge, where the Reverend Donald Cargill jumped the river to escape King Charles II’s dragoons in 1665 during the turbulent Covenanting period in Scottish history.
5. Make sure you visit Dundee and now world famous V&A Museum of Design, its on the water edge, and it is truly an architectural gem. https://www.vam.ac.uk/dundee
6. Take a scenic drive from Blairgowrie to Dunkeld (20 mins) through some lovely rolling countryside, stop off for lunch or a coffee at Aran Bakery, fabulous sourdough break. Take a stroll around the town, and a lovely walk along the river to the old Abbey
7. Just outside Dunkeld, make sure you visit The Hermitage, a gorgeous walk around the river, one of favourite spots in Scotland – The giant Douglas firs here are among the tallest trees in Britain. Come face to face with the thunderous Black Linn Falls – best viewed from Ossian’s Hall. Breathe in the earthy woodland and tang of pine needles as you wander along the banks of the River Braan.
8. Continue onto the lovely Highland town of Aberfeldy, a visit to the WaterMill is a must, its an old watermill, that is converted into a bookshop, cafe and gallery space – voted as one of the Top 75 book shops in the world. Make sure you arrive early for lunch and nab one of the outside tables, a real treat https://www.aberfeldywatermill.com
9. While in Aberfeldy, make sure you pay a visit to Highland Safaris https://www.highlandsafaris.net. They can take you up into the mountains on 4×4, explore off grid, stunning scenery. Well worth a day trip
10. On your way home to Blair Hill, make sure you call into The Grandtully Hotel – https://www.ballintaggart.com/grandtully-hotel – London chic mets the Highlands, lovely for lunch or dinner, and make sure you try their cocktails! fabulous. Closer to home, stroll down town and have dinner one evening at Little’s Restuarant, https://littlesrestaurant.com – lovely setting in an old converted Church, food and service is very good, you will enjoy it and just a short scroll home!
We hope you have a wonderful staying with us at the Old School House in Blairgowrie
If you have any questions, please just let us know firstname.lastname@example.org Tel: 07850 857550